Friday, January 13, 2012

How to Make Your Own Healthy Pizza

http://expertscolumn.com/content/how-make-your-own-healthy-pizza 

I am self-confessed pizza addict! In fact I used to be addicted to pizza either by Pizza Hut, Yellow Cab, Sbarro, Greenwich and the likes.  I could finish up to three slices of one family size pizza in just one sitting. I so loved the delicious blend of mozzarella cheese and hot sauce and the overloads of meaty and spicy toppings. Then later, I realized I was not doing myself a favor. I learned I was actually consuming as high as 900 calories from three slices of pizza that I eat without fear. And worse the meaty toppings such as pepperoni, ham, sausages and others are all processed and hence are loaded not just with unwanted fats and salt but also sodium nitrate, which contain carcinogen. I realized I was opening up a way for cancer to develop in my body by indulging so much in pizza. And even if let's say I ordered non-meaty pizza, the cheese topping is definitely still high in calories and sodium and also the pizza crust itself is made of white flour which is not good for health either. After all those thoughts, I committed to myself that I will stop eating restaurant pizza. Maybe taking a slice once in a blue moon would be fine. So now, whenever I crave for pizza I just do my own at home which is just as yummy as those from restaurants and yet not as “sinful”. My pizza crust is always made of wholewheat flour and my toppings are mostly fresh veggies and mushrooms. Yes I do put cheese also but not very extravagantly. I add lots and lots of white onions and crispy green tomatoes and green peppers. And yes, I still do put lots of hot chili sauce and tomato sauce which is very rich in lycopene. I am proud to say that my homemade pizza is the healthiest pizza in the world.  If you are a pizza lover like me, then take time to make your own healthy too. You will surely love the outcome. It does not just fill you but it makes you feel healthier too.

No comments: